I just started using voice chat again, and I’ve also started wearing a Curious Chinchilla avatar. Most anthro avatars include voice chat gestures that trigger the script inside the jaw to start moving as if the avatar were talking too, but the Curious avatars don’t have these gestures. Instead, you are to use the default Library voice chat gestures, which have some… rather awkward animations.
I grew tired of these animations very, very quickly. The voice chat script inside the Chinchilla jaw was Modify, so I took a peek inside – turns out, it checks to see what animation is playing, and if a certain animation is playing, it starts the jaw moving.
But what if you want to change the animations? What if you don’t want to flail your arms around when you type? I sent an IM to Uchi, and he explained this as follows:
Check inside your avatar’s jaw. There will be a notecard with UUIDs. To change what animations the voice jaw responds to, change the UUIDs under [Voice] to the UUID(s) of the animations you want to use. Save the notecard, reset the script, and you’re ready to go.
So, let’s say you want to use the freebie BlaBlaBla jaw script and animation.
- Of course, you’re going to need the BlaBlaBla jaw script and animation. These are free and full permissions. Ask around and you should be able to obtain a copy of these. For now, you will only need the animation.
- Grab the default voice chat gestures and change their animations to the BlaBlaBla animation. This will cause the BlaBlaBla animation to trigger whenever you use voice chat.
- Grab the BlaBlaBla animation’s UUID. You can do this by right-clicking on it in your inventory and clicking Get Asset UUID (or whatever the selection is for your viewer).
- Go into the notecard in your Curious avatar’s jaw, open up the notecard inside, and replace the UUIDs under Voice with the UUID for BlaBlaBla. You only need to paste it once.
- Save the notecard, close it, then reset the jaw script. The jaw will reload the notecard and grab the new animation to override.
You can do this for any animation you can get the UUID for. You don’t have to use the BlaBlaBla animation – that was just for example!
This can also be done for the [Typing] section on the jaw. Don’t remove the UUID that’s already there or your avatar won’t respond to regular typing anymore.
This may not work for looped animations! If you’re trying to use a looped animation, like BlaBlaBla, add a Wait for X Seconds and a Stop Animation step into your gestures. Even this might not stop it right away. If one animation doesn’t work, try another one.
(I actually had to modify the BlaBlaBla script to disable the rotation and only control the animation because BlaBlaBla was being a brat and not stopping. You may have to do something like this too. It’s just a matter of changing a string. You can find my modified version here. You still need the BlaBlaBla gestures.)
Thanks to Uchi for the help here. If you have any questions or find something broke, send me an IM and I’ll see if I can help you.